TECHNICAL SUPPORT FAQ
What do I need to provide to you to see if my home in rural Alberta can receive high speed internet through Platinum?
All we require is your legal land description (quarter, township, range, and meridian) or the GPS coordinates for the location.
What are the Terms of Service?
Terms of Service for using Platinum Communications high speed Internet Service - Download (PDF)
Does Platinum include a wireless router with the internet installation?
No. Platinum does not include a router with the setup. You must purchase your own and they can be found at Future Shop, Best Buy etc. We recommend Dlink or Linksys / Cisco brand Wireless N routers.
What do I do if I am having issues connecting to the internet?
1. Unplug the “Motorola power supply.” This is the square black plug-in with green light on top. This is typically plugged into your power bar or wall outlet. Important to note is to leave it unplugged for at least 1 minute. Plug back in. Test to see if connection is working.
2. Plug the “black flat cable" located on the Motorola Power Supply - directly into your computer. If the internet does not come back online in one hour please call support for further troubleshooting. If it does work proceed by plugging the black flat cable back into the Internet/WAN port on your router and unplug the power to the router for 10 seconds. Plug back in. Test to see if connection is working.
3. Contact the router manufacturer if the connection works plugged directly into your computer but not connected to the router.
What can I do if I am getting slower than expected speeds on the internet?
In order for us to diagnose speed issues with our service we need an accurate method to test the speeds.
1. First step is to bypass your router by plugging the “black flat cable” directly into your computer.
2. Second step is to open your internet browser and go to http://speedtest.net
3. Third step is to run a test using the Calgary server. This will test your download and upload speeds and you should see a results box. Click Share Result, and then click copy. This will store the direct link that is required.
4. Last step is to email test results to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line should be “Your Name Speed Test Results” Then paste the direct link into the body of the email.
How do I configure my Platinum mail account on my computer?
The links below are guides on how to setup various email clients:
Incoming POP3: mail.platinum.ca
Outgoing SMTP: mail.platinum.ca
Our emails server require SMTP authentication. Please ensure that you turn this on in your email client. This means no SPA (Secure Password Authentication) and no SSL (Secure Socket Layer). Also, please ensure that when you are entering your username in either Webmail or your email client, use your full email address etc: email@example.com
How do I configure my email on my smart phone?
How much is a gigabyte (GB) of data?
Examples of approximate usage of 1GB of data include:
What are the most recommended antivirus programs?
We recommend Avast Home version and Clamwin as both are very effective for protection against viruses and spyware and are completely free.
What are the monthly bandwidth caps?
For residential service we have unlimited bandwidth, there is no cap. Please review our Acceptable Use Policy (PDF).
Does Platinum offer digital phone service?
Yes Platinum does offer Digital Phone VoIP Service
If you are hosting with us, you probably want to upload your website to us. Listed below are the settings for logging into and uploading your website. Use ftp://domainname or ftp://domainname.tld (top level domain). If you are using an FTP program you would use yourdomainname.com
Once connected you would then change to the /web directory and use that for your website. All website content is read from here with the default first file being index.html
NAMESERVERS and DNS
For those of you who host a domain with Platinum Communications, here are the name servers needed for your domain registrar ns1.platinumcommunications.net ns2.platinumcommunications.net
These names are needed for your name registrar in order to find your hosted domain with us.
DNS For those of you who use a STATIC IP, below are listed the DNS servers that you will need to enter under TCP/IP settings on your system for you to be able to resolve domain names. Primary DNS: 18.104.22.168 Secondary DNS: 22.214.171.124 These are needed for STATIC IP customers only.